Faculty and Staff
Chunxi Zhang Professor
Chunxi Zhang (张纯喜)
Laboratory of Photochemistry,
Institute of Chemistry,
Chinese Academy of Sciences,
No.2, 1st North Street, Zhong-Guan-Cun,
Phone: +86-10-82617053 ;
Fig. 1 Structural and functional comparisons of the Mn4Ca-cluster in biological photosynthesis and artificial photosynthesis
Sept. 1997 ~ Jul. 2000: Ph.D.
Photosynthesis Research Center, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Major: Plant Physiology
Sept. 1994 ~ Jul. 1997: M. S.
State Key Laboratory of Structural Chemistry, Fujian Institute of Research on the Structure of Matter, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Major: Structural Chemistry
Sept. 1990 ~ July 1994: B. E.
Department of Chemical Engineering, Harbin Engineering University
Major: Chemical Engineering
June 2016 ~ present: Professor (Photochemistry Lab., Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences)
July 2004 ~ May 2016: Associate Professor (Photochemistry Lab., Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences)
Nov.2002 ~ July 2004: Post Doc. (Section de Bioenergetique, DBJC, CEA Saclay, France)
Sept.2000 ~ Nov.2002: Post Doc. (Department of Biochemistry, Lund University, Sweden)
Research Fields and Interests:
(1) Photosystem II and Nitrogenase;
(2) Natural and artificial catalyst for water-splitting reaction;
(3) Electron and proton transfer in biological systems and chemical systems;
(4) Mechanism of redox reaction occurring in artificial systems and biological systems.
List of Publications:
1. Chunxi Zhang*, C. Chen, H. Dong, J. Shen, H. Dau, J. Zhao, A synthetic Mn4Ca-cluster mimicking the oxygen-evolving center of photosynthesis, Science, 2015, 348, 690-693. DOI: 10.1126/science.aaa6550
2. C. Chen, Chunxi. Zhang*, H. Dong, J. Zhao, Artificial synthetic MnIVCa-oxido complexes mimic the oxygen-evolving complex in photosystem II, Dalton Trans., 2015, 44, 4431-4435.
3. C. Chen, Chunxi Zhang*, H. Dong, J. Zhao, A synthetic model for the oxygen-evolving complex in Sr2+-containing photosystem II, Chem. Commun., 2014, 50, 9263-9265.
4. L. Wang, Chunxi. Zhang*, J. Zhao, Location and function of the high-affinity chloride in the oxygen-evolving complex—implications from comparing studies on Cl-/Br-/I- substituted photosystem II prepared using two different methods, J. Photochem. Photobiol. B, 2014, 138, 249-255.
5. L. Wang, Chunxi. Zhang*, J. Zhao, Synthesis, Structure and Catalytic Activity of a Manganese(III) Complex Based on 2-(2- Hydroxyphenyl)-5,6-dichlorobenzimidazole Ligands, Chinese J. Struct. Chem., 2014, 33, 1479-1487.
6. Y. Wang, Chunxi Zhang*, L. Wang, J. Zhao, Assignment of the μ4-O5 atom in catalytic center for water oxidation in photosystem II, Chinese Science Bulletin, 2013, 58: 3213-3216.
7. X. Wang, L. Dong, Chunxi Zhang, K. Zhu, J. Zhao, K. Zhao, M. Zhou，Sll1466, a glycosyl transferase homolog involved in global cellular regulation and high-light tolerance of Synechocystis PCC6803, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2011, 408: 674-679.
8. Y. Ren, Chunxi Zhang*, J. Zhao，Substitution of chloride by bromide modifies the low-temperature tyrosine Z oxidation in active photosystem II, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 2010, 1797: 1421-1427.
9. H. Bao, Chunxi Zhang*, Y. Ren, J. Zhao，Low-temperature electron transfer suggests two types of Qa in intact photosystem II, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 2010, 1797: 339-346.
10. Y. Ren, Chunxi Zhang*, H. Bao, J. Shen, J. Zhao, Probing tyrosine z oxidation in photosystem II core complex isolated from spinach by EPR at liquid helium temperatures, Photosyn. Res. 2009, 99: 127-138.
11. H. Bao, Chunxi Zhang*, K. Kawakami, Y. Ren, J. Shen, J. Zhao, Acceptor side effects on the electron transfer at cryogenic temperatures in intact photosystem II, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 2008, 1777: 1109-1115.
12. Chunxi Zhang* Low-barrier hydrogen bond plays key role in active photosystem II ¾ a new model for photosynthetic water oxidation, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2007, 1767:493-499.
13. Chunxi Zhang*, Interaction between tyrosineZ and substrate water in active photosystem II, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2006, 1757:781-786.
14. C. Fufezan, Chunxi Zhang, A. Krieger-Liszkay, A. W. Rutherford, Secondary quinone in photosystem II of Thermosynechococcus elongatus: Semiquinone-iron EPR signals and temperature dependence of electron transfer, Biochemistry 2005, 44: 12780-12789.
15. Chunxi Zhang, A. Boussac, A. W. Rutherford, Low Temperature Electron Transfer in Photosystem II: a Tyrosine Radical and Semiquinone Charge Pair. Biochemistry 2004, 43: 13787-13795.
16. Chunxi Zhang, S. Styring, Formation of split EPR signals in photosystem II suggests that tyrosine z can be photooxidized at 5K in the S0 and S1 states of the oxygen-evolving complex. Biochemistry 2003, 42: 8066-8076.
17. Y. Ma, J. Xie, Chunxi Zhang, J. Zhao, Three-stage refolding/unfolding of the dual-color beta-subunit in R-phycocyanin from Polysiphonia urceolata, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2007, 352: 787-793.
18. D. Huang, X. Zhang, C. Ma, H. Chen, C. Chen, Q. Liu, Chunxi Zhang, D. Liao, L. Li, Aggregation of tetranuclear Mn building blocks with alkali ion. Syntheses, crystal structures and chemical behaviors of monomer, dimer and polymer containing [Mn4(mu(3)-O)(2)](8+) units, Dalton Trans. 2007, 680-688.
19. P．Yang, X. Yang, J. Yu, Y. Liu, Chunxi Zhang, Y. Deng, B. Wu*, Zinc compounds with or without Zn–Zn bond: Alkali metal reduction of LZnCl2 (L = a-diimine ligands), Dalton Trans., 2009, 5773-5779.
20. H. Wu, D. Zhang, L. Su, K. Ohkubo, Chunxi Zhang, S. Yin, L. Mao, Z. S. S. Fukuzumi, D. Zhu, .Intramolecular electron transfer within the substituted tetrathiafulvalene-quinone dyads: facilitated by metal ion and photomodulation in the presence of spiropyran, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129: 6839 -6846.
21. L. Song, J. Xie, Chunxi Zhang, C. Li, J. Zhao, Recognition of various biomolecules by the environment-sensitive spectral responses of hypocrellin B, Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 2007, 6: 683-688.
22. L. Wang, X. Yi, W. Weng, Chunxi Zhang*, X. Xu, H. Wan*, Isotopic oxygen exchange and EPR studies of superoxide species on the SrF2/La2O3 catalyst, Catal. Lett. 2007, 118: 238-243.
23. B. Wu, D. Yuan, B. Lou, L. Han, C. Liu, Chunxi Zhang*, M. Hong*, Dynamic formation of coordination polymers versus tetragonal prisms and unexpected magnetic superexchange coupling mediated by encapsulated anions in the cobalt(II) 1,3-bis(pyrid-4-ylthio)propan-2-one series, Inorg. Chem. 2005, 44: 9175-9184.
24. Z. Zhang, Y. Zhao, Chunxi Zhang, S. Bian, H Zhou, H. Wang, H. Yin, J. Huang, Characterization of a nitrogenase CrFe protein from a mutant UW3 of Azotobacter vinelandii grown on a Cr-containing medium, Chinese Science Bulletin 2006, 51: 1729-1735.
25. Y. Zhao, S. Bian, Chunxi Zhang, H. Zhou, H. Wang, J. Zhao, J. Huang, Characterization of a FeMo cofactor-deficient MoFe protein from a nifE-deleted strain (DJ35) of Azotobacter vinelandii, Chinese Science Bulletin 2005, 50: 2305-2310.
26. H. Zhou, Chunxi Zhang, Y. Zhao, S. Bian, F. Ren, H. Wang, J. Huang, The composition and distribution of metal clusters in the MoFe protein from a nifZ deletion strain (DJ 194) of Azotobacter vinelandii, Chinese science Bulletin 2005, 50: 1342-1347.
27. C. Chen, D. Huang, X. Zhang, F. Chen, H. Zhu, Q. Liu, Chunxi Zhang, D. Liao, L. Li, L. Sun, Aggregate manganese Schiff base moieties by terephthalate or acetate: Dinuclear manganese and trinuclear mixed metal Mn-2/Na complexes, Inorg. Chem. 2003, 42: 3540-3548.
28. Chunxi Zhang*, F. Mamedov, S. Styring, His190 might directly bridge Yz and Mn-cluster: Mechanistic consequences for water oxidation deduced from DFT calculation. The Proceeding of 12th International Congress on Photosynthesis, August 18-23, 2001, S13-011.
29. X. Zhang, Chunxi Zhang, S. Ma, H. Xu, L. Shen, L. Li, X. Zhang, T. Kuang, Q. Zhang, The theoretical studies on the machanism of the primary electron transfer in the photosynthetic reaction center, Acta Chimica Sinica 2001, 59: 456-465
30. Chunxi Zhang, H. Fang, L. Li, T. Kuang, Theory study on primary reaction of photosynthetic bacteria, Science in China (C) 1999, 42: 155~161.
31. Chunxi Zhang, X. Zhang, L. Li, Q. Zhang, X. Zhang, T. Kuang, The structural model of P680, Chinese Science Bulletin 1999, 44: 862~863.
32. J. Pan, Chunxi Zhang, Y. Gong, L. Li, N. Zhao, T. Kuang, The simulation for primary electronic donor of photosystem II in vitro, Chinese Sciences Bulletin 2000, 45: 914~920.
33. Chunxi Zhang, J. Pan, L. Li, T. Kuang, Theoretical investigation on the peripheral ligands of oxygen-evolving center in photosystem II, Science in China (C) 1999, 43: 337~346.
34. Chunxi Zhang, J. Pan, L. Li, T. Kuang, New structure model of oxygen-evolving center and mechanism for oxygen evolution in photosynthesis, Chinese Science Bulletin 1999, 44: 2209~2215.
35. Chunxi Zhang, C. Chen, H. Zhu, Y. Deng, J. Chai, Q. Liu, Syntheses and structural characterizations of Fe4S4 cubane-like cluster compounds containing cycloalkylthiolate ligands, Science in China (B) 1998, 28: 24~30 (in Chinese).
36. Chunxi Zhang*, Discussion for Mechanism of Nitrogen Fixation in Nitrogenase and Its Synthesis of Manual Simulation, Progress in Chemistry 1997, 9: 131~139 (in Chinese).
37. Chunxi Zhang*, H. Fan, Q. Liu, Discussion on the activation models of dinitrogen by FeMo-cofactor in nitrogenase, Progress in Chemistry 1997, 9: 265~271 (in Chinese).